$165.00 inc GST
At a glance
30-45 minutes online
Competition and Consumer Act 2010; Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act 2001; National Consumer Credit Protection Act 2009; Commonwealth privacy laws; and Bankruptcy Act 1966
Personnel who collect debts
Available in Australia
Structured LearningiDesigned for learners with little prior knowledge, this course type takes the learner through the course subject sequentially – one step at a time. and Accelerated Multi-Device LearningiThis course type is designed for learners with prior knowledge, giving learners more ability to self-direct how they engage with the full course content. Using scenarios with voice-overs, tests within the course, and a ‘Learn More’ option, learners can engage the course on any smartphone, tablet, or PC.
About this course
Debt collectors are governed by a range of statutory and common law obligations.
Together, the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) and the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) have published a Debt Collection Guideline, which explains how the Australian Consumer Law (ACL), the Australian Securities and Investment Commission Act (ASIC Act) and the National Consumer Credit Protection Act apply to debt collection activities.
On completing this course, learners should:
- understand the laws relevant to debt collection; and
- understand the guidelines governing how to contact a debtor.
- Laws governing debt collection
- Misleading and deceptive conduct
- Unconscionable conduct
- Contacting a debtor
- Privacy obligations
- Record keeping
- Repayment negotiations
- Contact when a payment arrangement is already in place
- Contact following bankruptcy, PIA or debt agreement
- Conduct towards debtors, their families and third parties
- Representations about the consequence of non-payment
- Credit reporting
- Representations as to the legal status of a debt
- Legal actions and procedures
- Complaints and dispute resolution
This Safetrac course is built in conjunction with:
Take the next step
We can provide trial access to preview this course. Enquire today about training your organisation with Safetrac.
To train yourself, the cost of this course is
If you want to train your business or do more than one course, please enquire via the ‘Multiple users’ option above. Rates reduce when training multiple users.