“…very helpful, professional and understood our requirements well.”
At a glance
30-45 minutes online
The Child Safe Standards (the Standards)
Personnel who deal with children
Australia (Victoria Only)
Structured LearningiDesigned for learners with little prior knowledge, this course type takes the learner through the course subject sequentially – one step at a time.
About this course
As a staff member working for Child Protection, a licensed children’s service or Victorian school, your regular contact with children and families places you in the best position to observe changes or indicators in children that might be of concern.
When a staff member forms a reasonable belief that a child has been harmed or is at risk of harm, they are ethically bound to take action to protect the safety and wellbeing of that child or young person.
On completing this course, learners should:
- understand who is Child FIRST;
- understand the role of Child Protection; and
- understand the responsibilities of individuals in reporting to Child Protection and Child FIRST.
- Legal considerations
- Role of CHILD FIRST
- Referring to CHILD FIRST
- Referral process
- Role of Child Protection
- Mandatory and non-mandatory reporting
- When should I report to Child Protection
- Forming a belief – reasonable grounds
- Information sharing
- Protecting reporter identity
- Role of licensed children’s services
- Other reporting requirements for licensed children’s services
- Best practice in licensed children’s services
- Role of DEECD Children’s Services Advisors